Which level of study are you interested in?

How to apply - International

Lodge your application, selecting the location you wish to study at. If you select an on-campus location and COVID-19 impedes our ability to deliver face-to-face when the semester commences, we will guide you through your options.

From pre-arrival right through to your graduation, we assist students from all cultural backgrounds to succeed.

Course, fee and scholarship information

Choose your course

Our International Course Guide (pdf, 2.5mb) is a great source of information on courses available to International students, as well as general information about FedUni and our campuses.

If you are currently in Australia, you can experience FedUni first-hand!

Come to our Open Day on the last Sunday in August, or our Information Day in December. Our Ballarat and Gippsland campuses will be open to the public, with teaching and administrative staff available to answer all your questions.

If you can't attend Open Day, you can book a tour of the campus by emailing internationalmarketing@federation.edu.au or attend an information session for your course of choice.

If you have any further questions about FedUni's courses or facilities, please Ask FedUni.


Browse the full Schedule of overseas student fees online, which includes information on the current tuition fees, administrative fees and the charges you may incur during your time as a FedUni student.

International students must pay their first semester's fees upfront before the Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) is issued. Students who have packaged their offer with an English and Academic Preparation (EAP) course, or are having FedUni arrange Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) on their behalf, will also have to pay for these in full before the CoE is issued.

Later semesters will be invoiced on the census date. Payment plans are not available.


We are proud to offer a number of scholarships, bursaries and grants available for our on-campus international students. Browse the full range of dedicated international student scholarships online.


It’s important to ensure you are eligible to apply for a course with us.

Before applying, make sure you meet the academic and English language requirements for the course you hope to study.

Definition of an international student

You are considered to be an international student if:

  • you are NOT an Australian citizen
  • you are NOT a New Zealand citizen
  • you are NOT an Australian Permanent Resident
  • you are NOT the holder of an Australian Permanent Humanitarian Visa
  • you are NOT the holder of a Pacific Engagement Visa

English language requirements

Applicants must meet the minimum English Language Requirements for entry into a FedUni course. The English Language Requirement for general courses, such as business, IT and general science, is Academic IELTS Overall score of 6.0, with no band less than 6.0, or equivalent. Some courses will require higher scores - refer to our Course Finder for more information.

Refer to the English language requirements for information on accepted tests and exemptions.

Academic entry requirements

Applicants must be at least 18 years of age at the time the Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) is issued.

Undergraduate students

Undergraduate students are assessed competitively on the basis of Australian Year 12, or equivalent overseas school qualifications. Refer to our Country-specific entry requirements (pdf, 197kb) to see if your high school qualification is equivalent to Australian Year 12. Qualifications from countries not listed will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.

Some courses require specific subjects at the Year 12 level, or additional essential requirements for admission, such as folios, interviews or auditions. For information on the entry requirements for your chosen course, please refer to our International Course Guide (pdf, 2.5mb) or our CourseFinder. If your course has essential requirements for admission (eg the Application for Audition form) they can be found on the Essential requirements for admission page.

Students with post-school qualifications (eg diplomas, advanced diplomas) may be considered for admission with advanced standing or credit (recognition of prior learning). The amount of advanced standing will not normally exceed half of the Federation University Australia course concerned, and must be formally assessed on a case-by-case basis. More information on credit can be found in our ‘Prepare your application’ section below.

Postgraduate by coursework

Entry requirements vary from course to course, but generally require completion of an Australian bachelor degree, or overseas equivalent, with specified minimum grades (or marks) in relevant subjects. A period of work experience, following graduation, may also be required for some courses.

For information on the entry requirements for your chosen course, please refer to our International Course Guide (pdf, 2.5mb) or our Course Finder.

Postgraduate by research

Higher degrees by research follow different procedures. Please refer to Research degrees.

Student Visa requirements

  • If you would like to study in Australia on a student visa, you must meet the Immigration department’s Student Visa requirements. Please find more information via https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/

As part of the University’s responsibilities under Simplified Student Visa Framework (SSVF), we are required to conduct Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) assessment on each applicant and ensure the applicant is a genuine student to the university.

The genuine temporary entrant requirement (GTE) is an integrity measure to ensure that the Student Visa Programme is used as intended and not used by international students as a way of maintaining de facto permanent residency in Australia.

A genuine student is a student who intends to obtain a successful educational outcome and has the language, educational and material background to have a reasonable chance of achieving this educational outcome.

Preparing your application

Study at a Federation campus

Our Prepare your Application website has some helpful tips to prepare your application and make sure it is processed as quickly as possible.

If you need help with preparing your application or with applying for a student visa, you may wish to submit through one of our international agents. Please note: students applying from Pakistan must apply through an agent.

Study through a partner provider

We offer some courses through an external provider as well as on campus.

The below information is for our Ballarat, Berwick and Gippsland campuses, as well as online distance learning. Students who want to study at one of our onshore partners should contact them directly; each partner handles their own admissions.

Supporting documentation

Prepare the following documents to submit with your application.

  • Certified copies of degrees, diplomas or certificates issued by your educational institution(s)
  • Certified copies of your full academic transcripts issued by your educational institution(s)
  • Certified translations of documents that are not in English, as well as certified copies of the documents in the original language
  • Proof of English proficiency, such as academic IELTS results or equivalent
  • Certified copies of your passport and current Australian visa (if you hold one)
  • Your Confirmation of Enrolments (CoEs) from your studies in Australia (if any)
  • Research Proposal Form, Additional Details Form, or Application for Audition/Interview, if relevant
  • Any other relevant documents you would like us to consider, such as letters from schools or employers, a statement of purpose or your CV/resume.

Certifying documents

All supporting documents submitted with an application must be certified copies. A certified (or attested) copy is a photocopy of an original document that has been certified as being a true copy by an authorised person.

The person certifying the photocopy must include the following details on all pages that contain information:

  • Stamp or write: 'This is a true copy of the document sighted by me.'
  • Sign, date and provide contact details (name, address and telephone number)
  • Use the official stamp or seal of their organisation, or their profession and organisation name.

Copies of originals may be certified by a person or agency recognised by the law of the country in which you live. This may include:

  • A national notary department
  • The official records department of the institution that originally issued the document
  • A registered accountant
  • An Australian overseas diplomatic mission or Australian educational centre
  • A Justice of the Peace
  • A barrister, solicitor or patent attorney

If you are having trouble getting your documents certified, one of our Agents may be able to help

Credit transfer (Advanced Standing / Exemptions / Recognition of Prior Learning)

We offer credit transfer for successfully completed subjects deemed equivalent in content and standard to those offered by us. This will allow you to study fewer subjects, reducing the overall number of subjects needed to complete your FedUni qualification, and the length of time this will take.

To apply for credit transfer you must:

  • Formally request credit transfer with your course application.
  • Upload certified copies (see Certifying documents section above) of all your official transcripts or results from your previous studies with your application.
  • Upload copies of the subject syllabuses and grading system with your application.

Your request for credit will be reviewed and possible credits provisionally granted on your CoE. Any credit assessment at this stage is a provisional assessment only. The number of estimated credits awarded are subject to change; they may vary due to course structure changes or further study completed after receiving your offer letter.

When you arrive in Australia you will formally complete paperwork to confirm your credit transfer, which must be accepted in writing. We will assist you with this when you are on campus for enrolment.

Please note:

  • Documents that are not in English need to be officially translated and submitted along with the copies in the original language.
  • Supporting documents must be issued by the relevant educational institution, and properly certified (see Certifying documents section above) as genuine copies.

The next step

VTAC and QTAC applicants will follow the VTAC and QTAC offer timelines, with offers distributed by VTAC and QTAC directly. If you receive a VTAC or QTAC offer we will send you an offer letter by email, which will contain information on how to accept the offer and enrol.

Direct applicants - You will receive an email confirming that your application has been received.

  • When we have reviewed your application, we will send you an email to advise the outcome.
  • If your application is successful, we will forward an offer email to you, which will contain information on how to accept the offer and enrol
  • If your application is unsuccessful we will notify you by email. The email will include advice to help you strengthen a future application to the course.

Submitting your application

There are a number of ways you may apply, depending on your situation.  If you wish to study at a Federation campus, please browse the below application methods.

Application closing dates

  • Offshore applications (or onshore where the student does not hold a student visa) typically close five weeks before the semester commencement date.
  • Onshore applications (for students who can commence on an existing student visa) close approximately two weeks before the semester commencement date.

Specific dates, including application, pre-visa screening and offer acceptance are available on our Cutoff dates page.

Applying through VTAC

If you are currently completing your secondary schooling in Victoria, Australia, you should apply through VTAC:

Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre
40 Park Street
South Melbourne VIC 3205
Tel: 1300 364 133

Apply via VTAC

Application fees and closing dates are set by VTAC.

Applying through QTAC

If you are currently completing your secondary schooling in Queensland, Australia, you should apply through QTAC:

Queensland Tertiary Admissions Centre
PO Box 1331
Milton QLD 4064
Tel: 1300 467 822

Apply via QTAC

Application fees and closing dates are set by QTAC.

Applying through an agent or directly to Federation

If you are not completing secondary schooling in Victoria, you are able to apply to FedUni by lodging an application yourself or applying through an agent. If you are applying from India and Pakistan, you must apply through a FedUni Agent. Direct applications from India or Pakistan will not be processed.

Applying through an agent

Federation University's agents have been through a process to ensure they focus on your interests. They can help with all stages of the application process, from preparing and submitting your application right through to applying for a visa.

If you could use some help with applying, you can search our Agent network for a Federation agent close to you.

Applying without an agent

If you are confident you've got everything under control, and are not applying from Pakistan, you are welcome to apply directly to Federation University yourself. All the information you will need is on our Direct applications page.

Apply via direct application

Applying for higher degrees by research

The process for applying for a postgraduate research degree (ie doctorates and some master courses) is very different to applying for a coursework degree. All applications for higher degrees by research are processed by Research Services.

If you wish to apply for a postgraduate research degree, you should refer to the Research degrees apply page for information on the research application process, as well as the relevant application forms.

Application fees

This fee information is for those applying for undergraduate or postgraduate coursework course. Those applying for a research course should visit the Research degrees apply page.

Students who apply through the StudyLink will attract a $25 application fee.

The application fee is not refundable, and must be paid upfront for your application to be processed.

The online application fee can be waived if you:

  • have an eVoucher from an education expo
  • are an existing Federation University student applying to change courses
  • are sponsored by the government of your home country or another foreign country
  • are sponsored by an Australian Federal, State or Territory government
  • are sponsored by a gazetted organisation (Rotary International, Red Cross, Ford Foundation) or other acceptable non-profit organisation
  • apply through an Authorised Federation University agent

After you apply

Once you have submitted your application, it will be forwarded to the appropriate selection officer, and you will be notified of the outcome.

If your application has been submitted without sufficient supporting documentation, we will need to contact you, which will cause delays in the assessment of your application.

Scholarship information

Eligible students may receive notification that they have been provisionally awarded a scholarship when they receive their offer letter. Details of these scholarships can be found below.

In order to secure your scholarship, please confirm your acceptance as soon as possible.

If you have any questions about your scholarship, please contact us.

Pre-visa assessment

Most international students will be required to complete a pre-visa assessment as a condition of their offer. For useful information on this process, please refer to our Pre-visa screening page.

Please note that pre-visa assessment can take some time, so it is important to provide your forms and documents as early as possible.

Once you have passed the pre-visa assessment and met any other conditions on your offer, you will be able to accept your offer and make your initial payment. Information on how to do this will be included in your offer letter, and can also be found on our Accepting your offer page.

Further information on the pre-visa screening process and what to do in the event of a visa refusal can be found on our our Pre-visa screening page.

Cut-off dates and processing time and processing time

Due to the pre-visa screening and student visa process, international students must stick to strict cut-off dates. We recommend you apply as early as possible to allow enough time for processing.

Please note: many students will package an English and Academic Preparation (EAP) course with their main course. If you will be studying an EAP course, cutoff dates will be based on the orientation date of your EAP course, not the standard semester dates.

Please go to our Cut-off dates webpage for full details.

Accepting your offer

Your electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) letter will be issued when you have met all conditions on your International Student Offer and Acceptance Agreement, and Federation University Australia confirms your payment has been received. You will need the CoE when applying to the Australian diplomatic post for a student visa.

Information on how to accept your offer will be included in your offer letter and can also be found on our Accepting your offer page.

Arriving at Federation

The time between accepting an offer and arriving at Federation University is important for international students' success. We support you before you even get on the plane with timely and accurate information so that you can make the best choices.

Our International Student Support team is easily contacted to ask any questions, and you will also hear from one of our student committee members in case you need to ask any questions about what life is really like in Australia and at Federation University. You will also get to meet our friendly committee during orientation.

Explore our pre-arrival webpage for more information and resources, and to download our handy pre-arrival guide.

Transfers, withdrawals and refunds

We understand that sometimes your situation can change and if you wish to transfer or need to withdraw from your course, you can learn how to do this on our transfers, withdrawals and refunds webpage.

If you are having any difficulties, whether you're struggling with your classes or just feeling homesick, please contact International Student Support. The team will be able to provide general guidance and support, and point you to specific resources that can help you with the difficulties you are experiencing.

Have more questions?